I recently inherited a bread machine from a friend, and was excited to use it, since the cost of gluten free bread is highway robbery and the slice sizes are like saltine crackers. Pathetic. This recipe, from Beth Asaff at “Lovetoknow gluten free”, is one I followed to the letter since I have zero experience with bread machines, and it turned out delicious. A little yeasty, but still the best gluten free bread I’ve had yet. The article I’ll link to has several other recipes, but this one was the easiest and I had everything for it at home.
Brown Rice Bread
This heartier bread has a chewy texture and crusty top.
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup milk (of choice…I used almond)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups brown rice flour (I didn’t have any white rice flour, so I used just over 2 cups of brown)
- 2/3 cup white rice flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons quick rise yeast
- Add the wet ingredients to the bread maker.
- Add the dry ingredients in the order listed.
- Set the bread machine to “whole grain” or “dark” setting (regular size)
- After the final mix, wet your hand and remove the dough hook from the bottom of the dough.
- Let the bread cool completely before removing the loaf from the machine.
- Slice and enjoy.